Issues for discussion
The event will focus on media diversity with an emphasis on the new media:
- Does the new media contribute to, or undermine, a pluralistic public sphere?
- Do new technologies overcome bottlenecks related to traditional media or do they create new information gatekeepers?
- Should existing media ownership regulations for traditional media be relaxed, or extended to new media?
- How have industries, such as music, books and film, faced the challenges presented by the new media?
- Is there a need for diversity obligations on online on-demand media and can they be imposed?
- Should the EU take an initiative in ownership regulation in this era of globalization?
- How do we assess the role of publicly funded media, specifically public service broadcasters (PSBs), but also, where relevant, subsidised press and online operations?